The drill down question type lets you create categories each containing a set of choices. By default this question type gives respondents a drop down full of categories and loads a second drop down full of choices once a category has been selected. Alternatively you can format the question as a single drop down showing all choices and categories or a likert scale. Respondents can only select one answer to a drilldown question.
To set up drill down question:
- Drag and drop a drill down question from the Advanced Questions section of the palette to the canvas.
- Phrase your question in the Question Title and optionally add an Extra Description.
- By default a drill down question has two categories with two choices in each. To add more categories click + Add beneath the last category. You can also use the Bulk option to add categories.
- Click on an existing category to give it a name and view its drill down choices. To add more drill down choices to any category click the + Add in the choices section. You can also use the Bulk option or Extraction to add choices. Optionally, give your choice a score, code, or use the Branch to drop down to set up simple branching for the choice.
- If you want to make the question required, uncheck Optional in Options settings.
- Configure the question’s display settings. See below for details.
- Save your survey.
|Appearance||Select how your question will display. Default is cascading drop downs, where a respondent selects a category from a drop down and a second drop down appears with the drilldown choices for that category. Other options are Dropdown, where all categories and drilldown choices are displayed in a single drop down and Likert, where all choices are arranged in a likert scale with categories listed along the top.|
|Randomize choices||Default and Dropdown only. Shows choices in a random order per respondent.|
|Alphabetize choices||Default and Dropdown only. Shows choices in alphabetic order.|
|Blank choice||Dropdown only. Set what displays when no answer is chosen. Default is —|
|Flip choice order||Likert only. Reverses the order of the choices. This also reverses the left and right label.|
|Show Category Labels||Likert only. Displays the category labels above the choices.|
|Left Label and Right Label||Likert only. Specify labels to display on either side of the scale.|
|Display side-by-side||Displays the question on one half of the screen. In order for two questions to display side-by-side, you’ll have to enable this option for both questions. The first question will be on the left and the second on the right.|
|Append to previous question||Use this to make this question appear as if it’s part of the previous question.|