The checkbox grid question type lets you set up a grid of variables and choices. Respondents can select more than one checkbox answer choice per variable.
To set up a checkbox grid question:
- Drag and drop a checkbox grid question from the Basic Questions palette to the canvas.
- Phrase your question in the Question Title and optionally add an Extra Description.
- By default the question has two variables. Click + Add in the Variables section to add more. You can also use the Bulk option or Extraction to add variables. Each variable adds a row to your grid. Variables can be made Static or Optional. Uncheck Optional to make a variable required. Select Static if you want the variable to be excluded from alphabetic or random ordering.
- By default the question has two choices. Click the + Add button in the choices section to add more. You can also use the Bulk option or Extraction to add answer choices. Each choice adds another column to your grid. Choices can be given a Score or Code.
- Configure Display settings and Options for the question. See below for details.
- Save your survey.
Click to see settings and options in detail:
|Make First Column Static||Makes the first column sticky when scrolling through other columns.|
|1st Column Size||Set a percentage of space the first column takes up.|
|Display side-by-side||Displays the question on one half of the screen. In order for two questions to display side-by-side, you’ll have to enable this option for both questions. The first question will be on the left and the second on the right.|
|Append to previous question||Use this to make this question appear to respondents as if it’s part of the previous question.|
|Show Borders||Adds borders separating the rows and columns of this question.|
|Alternate Background Colors||Give each column an alternating background color.|
|Randomize choices||Shows rows in a random order per respondent. Use the Static setting per row to leave one or more rows in place.|
|Alphabetize choices||Displays rows in alphanumeric order.|